This course will cover two religions in depth and four Philosophy & Ethics topics looking at various religious and non-religious views. It is not necessary to have any particular religious beliefs to study this course. Taking the exams for this course is optional.
We will cover
- Key beliefs
- Jesus Christ and the salvation
- Worship and festivals
- The role of the church in the local and worldwide community
- Ideas about the nature of God and existence
- Beliefs about the nature of human life
- Worship and festivals
Part2: Using Christian, Hindu and secular beliefs we will examine:
The existence of God and revelation:
- Philosophical arguments for and against the existence of God
- The nature of the divine and revelation
Religion and Life:
- The origins and value of the universe
- The origins and value of human life – including the concept of sanctity of life; abortion; euthanasia; beliefs about death and the afterlife
Relationships and Families:
- Sex, marriage and divorce
- Families and gender equality
- The roles of men and women
- Gender equality
- Gender prejudice and discrimination
Religion, crime and punishment:
- Religion, crime and the causes of crime
- Religion and punishment
Practicalities and financial information:
- The course will run over 44 weeks between 30 April 2018 and 15 April 2019. This includes 4 revision session.
- Sessions take place Mondays 1.30-4.00pm and are held at The Old School Business Centre, Church Drive, Nottingham NG5 6LD, in Studio 6.
- Course Dates: 30 April-4 June; 18 June-6 August; 27 August-22 October; 5 November-17 December; 7 January-18 February; 4 March-15 April
- Students will require a ring binder and a set of 10 file dividers.
- All students will require two course text books. These are:
– AQA GCSE Religious Studies A: Christianity ISBN-13:978-0-19-837033-8
– AQA GCSE Religious Studies A: Hinduism ISBN-13:978-0-19-837034-5
You can supply these books yourself (£18.99 each from Amazon), or you can purchase them through me (buying them through me will add £3 to each monthly payment). The first book will be required for the start of the course and the second by the first week of July.
- Payment for the course:
– £40 per month April 2018 – April 2019 (13 payments) if you are supplying your own textbooks.
– £43 per month April 2018 – April 2019 (13 payments) if you are purchasing your text books through me.
- The intention is for students to sit the exams in summer 2019. Nottingham College have agreed to facilitate this, at a cost of £100 per student (2 exams @ £50 each).You can find an exam centre closer to you if you prefer. Fees at alternative centres may vary.
- If a student decides not to continue with the course, you will not be liable for monthly fees beyond the month in which they stop. However, if you have purchased books through me, you will still be liable for the remainder of the cost of the books (£3 x the number of months remaining on the course).